Want to build a successful online business?
Then you need to commit to making decisions based on data.
Here’s what we are going to discuss today:
- What is sales funnel analytics?
- What are the most important sales funnel metrics?
- How to optimize your sales funnel?
What Is Sales Funnel Analytics?
Sales funnel analytics is funnel building software functionality that allows you to collect, visualize, and analyze your sales funnel data.
It enables you to conduct sales funnel analysis for the purpose of conversion rate optimization:
- You identify the weak spots in your funnel.
- You figure out what the issues are.
- You fix those issues.
That should lead to an increase in the overall conversion rate of your sales funnel, meaning more sales, more revenue, and more profit.
Over time, this can help you to 2x, 5x, or even 10x your sales funnel profits.
What Are the Most Important Sales Funnel Metrics?
There are five key metrics that you need to pay attention to when it comes to sales funnels:
Traffic is the number of visitors that come to your sales funnel.
What matters the most is how many people visit your lead magnet landing page since that is the entryway to your sales funnel.
Needless to say, if you can’t get anyone to check out your lead magnet, the rest of your sales funnel doesn’t matter because no one is going to see it!
We believe that paid advertising is the most reliable way to generate traffic because it is quick, targeted, and predictable.
However, in the long run, you want to develop your own traffic-generating assets so that you wouldn’t have to pay Facebook, Instagram, or Google for each and every visitor.
Here are some examples of such assets:
- Social media following.
- YouTube channel.
Building these assets takes time, but in the future, you will thank the present for doing it.
A conversion rate is the percentage of page visitors that took the action that you wanted them to take (“converted”).
Here’s the formula:
You need to pay attention to the conversion rate of each stage of your sales funnel + its overall conversion rate:
Once you know what the current numbers are, you can work on improving them through conversion rate optimization. More on that later. By the way, with ClickFunnels, you don’t need to calculate all this stuff yourself, our software does it for you!
Sales is the number of products sold.
The best way to increase sales is to use the Value Ladder sales funnel. We are going to discuss that later in this article.
Also, note that while getting any online business off the ground is a challenge, it shouldn’t feel like some impossible endeavor.
If you are struggling to make sales no matter what you do, it might be that your business idea simply isn’t viable.
There’s that saying “Winner never quit, quitters never win” but in reality, you need to know when to quit and move on to something else.
You’re not going to win by wasting time, energy, and money on an idea that doesn’t resonate with your ideal customers!
Revenue is the amount of money that the sales bring in.
You can increase your revenue by:
- Adding more products to your Value Ladder.
- Adding upsells, downsells, bump offers, and special one-time offer.
- Creating a subscription product that generates recurring revenue.
Ideally, you want to do all three, because that will enable you to maximize your sales funnel revenue.
You might also want to consider creating an affiliate program that lets other people sell your products in exchange for a commission fee (e.g. 25% from each sale).
This allows you to tap into the audiences of other people.
Profit is what is left when you subtract the production, marketing, and distribution costs + the overhead costs of running your business from the revenue.
There are several ways in which you can increase profit:
- Reduce production, marketing, and distribution costs.
- Reduce the overhead costs such as office rent, equipment, employee salaries, and benefits, etc.
- Improve the conversion rate of your sales funnel.
Out of these three options, the latter is arguably the best one because it allows you to make more money with the same amount of traffic.
Moreover, you don’t have to compromise on product quality, working conditions, or employee compensation to make that extra money.
How To Optimize Your Sales Funnel
So how do you actually optimize your sales funnel for conversions?
Use the Value Ladder Sales Funnel
Here at ClickFunnels, we believe that the most effective way to sell online is the Value Ladder sales funnel.
It was created by our co-founder Russell Brunson. He used it to take ClickFunnels from zero to $10M+ in annual revenue in just one year… And then he grew the company to $100M+ in annual revenue. Talk about explosive growth!
The Value Ladder sales funnel has four stages:
- Bait. You offer the potential customer a lead magnet in exchange for their email address.
- Frontend. You offer the potential customer your least expensive and least valuable product.
- Middle. You offer the customer a more expensive and more valuable product.
- Backend. You offer the customer your most expensive and most valuable product.
Ideally, there’s also some sort of a continuity program, meaning a subscription product that generates recurring revenue.
The reason the Value Ladder sales funnel works so well is that it allows you to:
- Start the relationship with the potential customer by offering free value.
- Nurture that relationship by continuing to provide free value.
- Gradually build trust by providing progressively more paid value at each stage.
Here’s how Russell explains it:
Make Sure That Your Frontend Offer Is Irresistible
The purpose of your frontend offer isn’t to make you a ton of money, it’s to convert a lead into a paying customer.
That’s why you want to make it a no-brainer by:
- Making it super valuable.
- Pricing it ridiculously low.
Ideally, you want the price to be within the impulse buy range, meaning <$10. We have learned that the $7 price point works particularly well.
Remember how we mentioned that Russell took ClickFunnels from zero to $10M+ in annual revenue in just one year with the Value Ladder sales funnel?
Well, his primary marketing strategy was webinars, so he used webinar funnels to grow our company’s user base.
Now, given the results that he has achieved with this approach, it’s probably safe to say that Russell is one of the top webinar marketing experts on the planet.
He could charge a ton of money for teaching his secrets to other entrepreneurs.
But instead, he shares his proven webinar formula for just $7, which makes the offer a no-brainer no matter how tight your budget is. And guess what?
When people see the value that Russell provides with his seven-buck product, they become curious about the more expensive offers, such as our software and our educational products.
It pays to invest in building trust with your customers!
Improve Your Copywriting Skills
Copywriting means selling via the written word. Ad text? Landing page text? Sales page text? Marketing emails? That’s all copy.
Here’s what Russell has to say on the topic:
“Copywriting is what made me rich… It has more impact on how much money you make with your company than anything else.”
Fortunately, direct marketing copywriters have been A/B testing copy for over a century now, going all the way back to the days of direct response letters sent via snail mail.
And here’s the #1 secret of the copywriting industry:
There are formulas for everything now. Formulas for headlines. Formulas for subheadlines. Formulas for long-form sales page structure. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel!
You can get these formulas for free if you order Jim Edwards’ book “Copywriting Secrets”. All you need to do is pay for shipping. The book itself is FREE!
Russell is an incredible copywriter in his own right but even he learned a lot from Jim. It’s good stuff!
Study Conversion Rate Optimization
Online marketers have been obsessively A/B testing landing pages and sales pages for at least two decades now.
Sure, every industry is different, every niche is different, every business is different. Yada yada yada.
But at this point, we know what works and what doesn’t, that’s why you want to learn and implement best practices. ConversionXL is a great resource on the topic.
Here are some of the most important conversion rate optimization principles:
- ONE GOAL PER PAGE. You need to have just one conversion goal per page. What do you want the visitor to do? Give you their email address? Buy your product? Buy the one-time special offer? The entire page should be designed to guide the visitor towards that goal.
- No distracting elements. Ideally, the only clickable elements should be call-to-action buttons, so that there would be nothing distracting the visitor from that conversion goal. This means no links to your social media profiles, no links to your blog articles, no links to other sections of your website… All that clutter needs to go!
- A call-to-action button that stands out. You want to make sure that your call to action button is impossible to miss: huge and bright. Its color should stand out in the overall scheme of the page. Use several call-to-action buttons for medium-length and long-form pages (at least three!).
- Add social proof. Everyone knows that you are biased when it comes to your own product. Don’t ask a barber if you need a haircut, right? What potential customers really want to know is what other people think about you, your company, and your products.
So add as much social proof as you can in the form of endorsements, testimonials, relevant data, etc. There’s no such thing as too much social proof, so if you got it, flaunt it. The only exception is if the social proof is distracting from the conversion goal.
- Add video. You might have noticed that we tend to use video in our lead generation landing pages as well as our sales page. That’s because video is a more persuasive medium than text… Provided you do it right!
It especially makes sense if you are driving traffic to that page from YouTube. In that case, using video makes the transition from watching your YouTube stuff to learning more about your offer from the video on the page seamless.
- A/B test all the key elements. You want to both follow the best practices and relentlessly A/B test each page in your sales funnel. That’s how you will learn what works best for your business.
Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel here either because at ClickFunnels we have a bunch of page templates that are already optimized for conversions.
We did the heavy lifting for you so that you could start selling online immediately!
Want Russell To Show You How To Build a Sales Funnel That Converts?
Let’s keep it real:
Building a sales funnel from scratch can seem like a daunting task.
That’s why we created our 5 Day Challenge where Russell walks you through it step-by-step.
You will learn how to:
- Generate unlimited leads.
- Create your first lead magnet.
- Build your first sales funnel.
- And launch Create a simple 6-email follow-up sequence.
- your funnel!
…in just five days.
So don’t hesitate.